Dr. Lisa Yau (BVSc, Cert. Dance and Movement Therapy, associate member of DTAA)
Dance movement has been a very important part of my life. I have combined my knowledge in traditional counselling , especially Gestalt therapy and Narrative therapy, to my practice in dance and movement therapy.
I have experience working with a variety of populations with special needs. I would like to facilitate the group to find their inner rhythms, and be connected to their souls through the artistry of dance.
Dance and Movement Therapy (DMT)
It is the use of movement and dance through which a person can engage creatively in a process to further their emotional, cognitive, physical and social integration. It provides a way for unconscious psychological material and deeply held emotions to come to self-awareness. Thoughts and feelings could be shaped, organised and released
DMT is based on the principle that the body, mind, spirit and emotions are inseparable; therefore any changes that take place within the body through movement will have an effect on all aspects of our being.
Dance Movement Specialists are trained in:
- Counselling and group facilitation.
- Holistic work with physical, emotional and cognitive elements of each participants, through the body.
- Design and implementation of programs and sessions tailor-made for each client, group.
- Movement observation and analysis to develop and evaluate session and program goals according to each client and group.
Benefits of DMT include:
- Improve self-awareness, self-confidence, self-acceptance
- Reduction in physical tension and emotional tension
- Safe expression and processing of overwhelming emotions or thoughts
- Engaging with innate creativity and nature of play
- Enhance social skills
- Experience clarity and shifts in thought patterns and behaviours
- Expand avenues of communication, interaction and connection
DMT can assist with:
- Body image
- Social skills
- Establishing personal boundaries
- Mental and Emotional Health
- Grief and Loss
- Anxiety and depression